Networking is the answer to people who have no capital or able people to help them with realizing their ideas. With a clear business idea in mind, you should network with the intention to find people who can help you realize the idea.
Here are the steps by steps of networking:
1. Go to websites or apps that list business events in your area. eg. Eventbrite, Peatix
2. Browse through the list to find events where people who are relevant to your business idea are likely to appear. (Investors and people of skills specifically helpful to your business)
3. Shortlist and Register for these events. Mark the dates and venues of these events on your calendar.
4. Go to the events with a clear idea of what you want to find and what you want to share with people. People will ask you what you do, you should answer with the reason why you are attending the event. Don't be general and say,"I am here to network or make friends." Just come straight to the point and say,"I have an idea to do XXX and i am here to find people who might be interested to work with me on it."
5. Be interested in finding out why people are there at the event. What they want to do might have relevance to what you want to do. I met a programmer trying to sell his services at an event and it happens that I need to develop an application for my business.
A networking event is a market for people to trade information, resources, contacts and skills. If you find someone helpful to your business, get his namecard. Don't try to do any selling on the spot, but just leave a line saying i might have an idea for you then go back, think of a good business proposal and then invite the person to a meeting again.
Don't dominate any conversation in any group, people are there to find out what everyone else is doing for the purpose of finding someone who is relevant to their goals. if you don't know this and try to put yourself in the limelight or hold on to a conversation for too long, it is going to be awkward. Give people a chance to network broadly.
However, there must also be sufficient depth for people to remember you, make sure your encounter with anyone is not too brief or too long such that people will find your rude or boring.